Donation Page Checklist
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Best fundraising practice points to every charity having a simple and clear donation page linked from their site. You want a place your website’s visitors can easily find and fill out their information to make a donation with ease.
If you are in the process of building a donation page or need to update yours, use this checklist to determine if your donation form is user-friendly and what you can do to improve it.
- Responsive in its design (mobile-friendly)
- Branded to match your nonprofit and the campaign
- Minimal fields
- Limited navigation (no distracting links)
- Features a compelling headline
- Compelling message about impact and the urgency of gift
- Compelling, emotional image(s)
- A call-to-action button (use words such as “Donate Now” rather than “Submit”)
- Monthly giving option
- Tribute giving option
- Suggested giving levels (with one highlighted)
- Option to designate gift for a specific purpose
- Email newsletter opt-in
- Secure (SSL certificate)
- Trust logos to demonstrate the site’s security
- One-step process
- Phone and email listed for donors that have questions or need help
- Remember donors when they return
- Alternate payment methods such as e-checks or “invoice me”.
- Option for donors to help you cover transaction fees
Saying “thank you”:
- Social media sharing opportunities on the thank you screen
- Matching gift opportunities on the thank you screen
- Customized, automatic thank you email to donor from your director
- Feature a branded, customized, printer-friendly thank you screen after donation
Bonus administrative checklist for your nonprofit staff:
- Automated email alerts to communicate new donations to staff
- Easy donation page creation process available for non-technical staff
- Simple reporting with easy exports
- Integration with web analytics (such as Google Analytics)
- Integration with other apps you use every day, such as email marketing software
Does your donation page check all these boxes? If not, reach out. We’d love to help.
Download the Donation Page Checklist in PDF form.