6 ways to grow your online fundraising
There are lots of ways to grow online fundraising, but where to start? We have been compiling online fundraising ideas on our blog for many years; this post is a great one-stop-shop for you to sift through and strategize. Go ahead and click on the links within this article as they all provide additional tips, tricks and strategies to use for your online giving programs.
1. Create catchy content
- Get your website in order and ensure your donation page and headline is clear, concise and captures your organization through thoughtful content and imagery
- Customize content to your donors in emails, letters and even social media content. Tips for successful donation asks are all about customization of content.
- Create a monthly donor newsletter using an email marketing platform to stay top-of-mind, provide information about your organization and always have a link back to your donation page(s).
2. Drive more traffic to your website
- Start or revive a blog as a way to build trust, showcase your thought leadership and provide an additional avenue for donors to get information about your organization.
- Sign up for Google Ad Grants in order to receive up to $10,000 a month in free Google text ads (we love free!)
- Consider using social media advertising as a way to drive traffic to your website and, ultimately, to your online giving landing pages.
3. Make it easy to give
- Eliminate one form field from your donation form and make sure your landing page is in order. Eliminate unnecessary content and remove distractions
- Play nice with mobile givers and ensure your site works across all devices. You could also consider using SMS or setting up a text-to-donate campaign.
4. Get more per gift
- Ask donors to help cover processing fees. Being honest about what it costs to offer the option for online donations is not a bad thing; you may be surprised at how many donors don’t mind helping you cover those fees.
- Refine your elevator pitch or what we call your “supporting appeal” so that donors know exactly why it’s important they give.
- Use an online fundraising platform to not only increase donation sizes but to lower your administrative fees. Here are some other ways to raise your average online donations.
5. Provide various ways to give
- Establish monthly giving options as a way to retain donors. It’s easy, convenient and typically easier on your donors’ budgets. Check out these additional monthly giving program tips.
- Enable tribute gifts as a way to acknowledge a life event—marriage, graduation, birth, death—and allows donors to connect your cause to important people in their lives. Check out these 7 ways to encourage tribute gifts.
- Use peer-to-peer fundraising as a way to enlist your current donor base as your marketing force. Needs ideas to set that up? We’ve got you.
6. Incentivize donors to come back
- Try a thank-a-thon as a way to recognize donors for their support. This can be as simple as an ice cream social or happy hour after hours or a larger, annual appreciation event. Donors will remember the recognition and it makes them feel good to know you care enough to provide a tangible element of thanks.
- Use email and social media for donor retention and to give special shout-outs online. Add donors’ Twitter handles to a donor list (as long as they’re not anonymous donors) and tag them in posts on social media as a way to show your support right back at them.